Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Lingo




What is the most valuable phrase when learning to speak a new language? In learning to speak Nepalese, it seemed to me to be "How do you say (insert the word) in Nepalese?" "What is that?" was a close second. And right behind that was, "Could you repeat that, more slowly?"


In Turkish, "Could you please repeat that," is "Luften, tekrarlar misiniz." OK. And "I don't understand" is, "Anlamiyorum." That'll come in handy.

Oh yes, and "Pardon," is "Anlamadim." I wonder if that's the "pardon" of "excuse me," or the "pardon" of "I didn't understand"--or didn't hear. Or maybe I have it all wrong and it's the "pardon" of "I have committed an offense and hope you will not throw me in jail." Yikes!

I'll make some flash cards tonight and read them on the plane and while waiting in line and working this week. And if I am lucky, I'll find someone who wants to practice a few phrases.

And last, but not least... the word for Turkish coffee, "Turk kahvesi" unless it has cardamon, in which case it appears to be 'old fashioned coffee,' and is called mirra (muhr-ra). Yum.



No comments: