Friday, November 7, 2008

The Turkish Coffee Reading




I wandered into Ottoman Klasik for my mid-morning cup of coffee one day in October, 2008, and met Genevieve, a woman slightly older than I, who had come to read someone's fortune in their Turkish coffee grounds.


Luckily for me, her appointment was actually later in the day, so she offered to read mine, instead.

I drank my coffee, turned the cup upside down on the plate and listened while Genevieve explained how she'd learned to divine the future in a demitasse.

I am not someone who really puts much stock in that sort of thing, usually, but it was a pleasant way to pass some time before getting down to more serious work in the day--and any excuse to sit among ceramics, kilims, and Turkish music works for me!

Turning the cup round a few times, Genevieve told me that in 6-8 months I'd have an opportunity to take a trip abroad. She said if I was not ready, to feel free to postpone it a bit. She recommended that I get some Middle Eastern music CDs to prepare myself.

She said I would receive a letter from someone in 6-7 months asking me about horses, and that I should by all means reply. She said they would be seeking my advice and that I could help them in some way.

She also said I'd have a chance to have turtle soup, served by a young woman with dark hair. And that I should try it. I winced. I love turtles--but in soup?

She said it was possible that I would also travel to India in September or so, or at least that I should plan to do that, if possible, and that it was alright to ask for a favor while I was there. I do go to India every few years in the fall, so this did not seem like such a long shot.

And among a few other odds and ends, she told me that someone would offer me a puppy, but that I should be crystal clear that I would take it only for a short duration. I made a notes and we parted. I have a dog. One is enough.




No comments: