Sunday, November 9, 2008

Somebody's Big Idea




The idea came over a cup of coffee with a friend.

I had browsed through books in the Turkish coffee shop and seen photos. I liked everything about them. As usual, the pictures of the countryside felt more inviting than the cities, and the mountains were more magnetizing than the sea. The shop owner's charming wife had suggested I plan a trip to Turkey, and I liked the idea. I wasn't sure how I'd come up with the money--but good ideas have a way of funding themselves.

Then on another morning, I talked with the shop owner about his home country and I began to get a feel for it. I'd like to walk, I said. I'd like to be away from the cities. I'd like to spend time with ordinary people, doing ordinary things. I needed a break and I knew it. I felt the tug of a good idea.


No comments: